Sunday 22 October 2017

I'm back, with a little project and a postscript

The last 18 months haven't been totally devoid of projects, but we have been away quite a lot and ......well, fellow bloggers will know that from time to time you just need to take a break.

A while ago I fitted some beech worktops for my elder daughter (http://itsastockitem.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/throw-it-away.html)
and, of course, kept the offcuts. With the birthday of grandchild number 3 coming up, I thought she might like a version of the well-known remove-a-block game:



particularly if it came in a customised box.

So the blocks were cut and sanded, and the box emerged from some bits of plywood that were lying around in the workshop, with the grooves for the lid cut by passes over the table saw.


I used the pantograph I made a few years ago from Matthias Wandel's plans (http://woodgears.ca/pantograph/index.html) to carve Lizie's name in the lid and the job was done.  A little heavy to post, so she may only get a card on her actual 4th birthday, with the present arriving when we visit a little later.



And a postscript for a little task which took a while to work out, but is quick to describe: we are recycling a child's cot around the family, and discovered that one of the swing catches which allow one side to rise and fall had been broken.  The makers told us that they no longer had stock of this ABS plastic piece, so I set to making one, using a piece cut from an ice-cream box lid with a couple of pieces of machined wood attached (araldite, with a reinforcing screw for the stressed part), together with a thin metal stopper which (not having much metal in stock) I cut from the casing of an old aluminium door handle. Both items were spray-painted - you'll be able to tell that the homemade one is on the left.


And it works.




6 comments:

  1. I love the box and I'm sure lizie will too. And I am prepared to confirm that you have been working away on all sorts of projects, just not recording them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That box will be a treasure! I have things made for me by my grandparents and they are my most precious possessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frith. We'll see - I hope it's liked, but as my father used to say about projects in timber, they can always come in useful as firewood!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant. Satisfying to know someone is doing such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I'm just wondering now whether all the grandchildren will want one - in which case I shall have a busy winter!

      Delete