Thursday 24 November 2011

Access

Walking along The Strand this afternoon - what a pleasure it is to walk in London when it's dry, bright and a temperature to make the body glow rather than perspire - my eye was taken by this wonderful large-wheeled cherry picker (high access platform).



What a Christmas present that would make for me!  Although we don't have any high buildings, the uneven ground around the house, cottage and outbuildings makes the use of ladders and scaffolding towers an uncomfortable affair.  Traditional scaffolding works well, but it costs a lot to hire, and creates pressure to work quickly, whatever the weather.

I have an ambition to change all of the plastic guttering installed around the place to cast iron, to match the front of the house rainwater goods fitted last year when the roof was re-slated.  I would also like to rebuild the chimney on the listed bakehouse and renew the leading: currently there are leaks.

I remember an MGS colleague buying a cherry-picker may years ago when he went off to Scotland to run a small estate of self-catering cottages. I've obviously been suffering from cp envy ever since.

1 comment: